The are 2 parts to the town of Gambrills -- the unincorporated community of Gambrills, and the Gambrills census-designated place. The original community of Gambrills is now part of the Odenton census designated place, while the Gambrills census designated place lies to the northeast of the original community. The community of Gambrills was named for Augustine Gambrill who was a plantation owner.
From 1869-1885, Gambrills was known as Sappington. The Naval Academy dairy farm is located here. The Hammond Manor house dates to the early 1700's and was owned by the Hammond family until 1913 when it was sold to the Navy. The original owner was thought to be Philip Hammond of Annapolis.