ABOUT GLEN BURNIE
Ritchie Highway shopping areas -- Marley Station, Route 100 and North Arundel Hospital Center are key features of the Pasadena-Glen Burnie corridor. There are a wide range of residential neighborhoods and several popular Bay-front parks and neighborhoods. Glen Burnie is a long-established Baltimore suburb with neighborhoods of large, older homes beyond its aging business district. A mixed-use Town Center has somewhat rejuvenated downtown Glen Burnie with new housing, shopping, a variety of services and a year-round family-oriented recreation and entertainment area.
Anne Arundel Community College is involved in many aspects of County life. It's a cornerstone of the new Glen Burnie Town Center and is a leader in training the County's workforce. The Glen Burnie Campus is one of the sites for a technical training program for Northrop Grumman employees. The multi-million dollar incentive program offered by State and local governments was a factor in the company's decision to remain and expand in Anne Arundel County.
The history for Glen Burnie dates back to the year 1812, when a district attorney named Elias Glenn established a county seat near what is currently known as Brooklyn Park. Elias Glenn subsequently named the property "Glennsburne".
The name underwent several iterations as it was changed to "Glennsbourne Farm" and eventually "Glenburnie" -- as the property was passed through Glenn's descendants. Historical records do show the name as being "Tracey's Station" and "Myrtle", after local postmaster Samuel Sewell Tracey and one of Tracey's employees.
Circa 1854, William Wilkins Glenn, who was Elias Glenn's grandson, incorporated the Curtis Creek Mining, Furnace and Manufacturing Company into his family's property. The business did extremely well and during the 19th century, William Wilkins Glenn purchased several thousand acres of land in northern Anne Arundel County, which became modern day Glen Burnie.
Upon the death of William Wilkins Glenn, his son, brother and nephew began to manage the family's business affairs, and Glenburnie became an official state subdivision in 1888. The Glenn family contracted George T. Melvin and Henry S. Mancha to lay out and promote the town. It would not be until 1930 that postmaster Louis J. DeAlba decided two words were better than one, and gave the town a final name change to the current Glen Burnie.
Welcome to 6462 Colonial Knolls in Heritage Hills, the best of both worlds. The Condo/Townhouse offers new Windows that were just installed 1 year ago, fairly new Applian...